Road Accidents in Kerala
Traffic accidents are a major cause of death and injuries world wide, but while they are declining in many parts of the developed world, fatalities are still on the rise in many developing countries including India. In our state more than half of the road accident victims are in the age group of 20 to 55, the key wage earning and child raising age group. The loss of the main bread winner and head of household due to death or disability can be catastrophic, leading to lower living standards and poverty.
The main causes of the increasing death rates in the Road Accidents are:
- Not knowing or not adopting correct driving habits.
- Increasing number of New generation vehicles especially Two wheelers.
- Aggressive driving behavior of Heavy vehicle drivers especially Private Buses & Tipper Lorries.
- Drivers sleeping while driving especially of Heavy vehicles & light motor vehicles after midnight due to fatigue and other reasons.
- Over speeding.
- Bad condition of Roads and absence of different lanes.
- Driver /Rider's ignorance of Road conditions, Road signs and the Environmental factors.
- Driver /Rider's ignorance or violation of Traffic Rules.
- Drunken Driving/Driving without seat belt.
- Driving without Helmet.
All road users should remember that road is to be shared amongst all. Requirements of different road users may differ according to circumstances and observance of traffic rules and consideration for the fellow users can reduce congestions, traffic jams and accidents. All road users must ensure that they
- Obey traffic rules at all times
- Obey all traffic signals and road sings
- Give preference to emergency vehicles and other fast moving vehicles wherever conditions allow.
- Mandatory use signals who turning, stopping, over taking slowing down and parking
- Park only in designated areas.
- Give due consideration to pedestrians at all times
- Keep within permitted speed limits at all times.