Clean Campus Safe Campus
The Kerala Government has launched a widespread campaign aimed at arresting the rising prevalence of substance abuse and other inappropriate social behaviour among students named 'Clean Campus, Safe Campus', the Home, Education & Health Departments have come together to give shape and implement this long-term campaign that will target students up to standard 12 in the first phase.
Kerala government decided to launch this awareness campaign taking a serious note of large-scale sale of narcotic products in the vicinity of schools and colleges to rid campuses of the menace of drugs, alcohol and tobacco products. As a part of the project, special operation groups have been constituted. During raids, apart from ganja, several ampoules and illegal drugs were also seized.
The main objective of the programme was to wean the students away from the use of these products. About 45 lakh students in 12,000 schools are part of the programme. The programme includes various awareness programmes through various media, including videos.
Clean Campus Safe Campus project upped its glamour quotient when actor Mammootty was signed on as its brand ambassador.
For the effective implementation of the Project, Government constituted a three tier committee as follows
- School Level Monitoring Committee
- District Level Monitoring Committee
- State Level Monitoring Committee
Activities to be carried out by the School Level Monitoring Committee
- Keeping a watchful eye to detect truancy among the students.
- Creating a database of small shops and establishments frequented by students.
- Organising programs and activities to effectively utilize free time of students.
- To conduct counseling session for the children in need of professional help.
- Initiating action with the police and school authorities to prevent such illegal acts.
- To declare and ensure that School surroundings are Traffic Safely Zones.
- Monitoring and reporting anti-social activities in the vicinity of schools like sale and use of tobacco products, alcohol, drugs, pornographic materials, etc and eve-teasing.
- To act as a catalyst in channelizing and co-ordinating variuos agencies and organisations working for welfare and development of children.
- Conducting awareness classes for students, teachers and parents about the adverse effects of substance abuse and the physical, psychological social problems it creates.
- Conducting campaigns related with environmental protection, road safety, cyber crimes, etc.
- Installing a tracking system to ensure student safety and proper behaviour during their commuting to and from home and school.
- Insisting on police patrol during school hours and police presense at the school gates at the time of convening and during breaks.
- Random checking of belongings of the students with the help and permission of paretns/guardians.
- Collecting information about availability and sale of illegal material in Internet Cafes and CD shops near the schools.
- Encourage the child to report all allegations or disclosures of physical abuse, sexual abuse, emotional abuse and neglect.
- To report to the concerned authorities when a belief is formed that a child has been harmed or is at risk of bein g harmed.
- Provide a caring, safe, nurturing enivironment in school for their overlall development.
School Level Monitoring Committees should be periodically reviews by District Level Committee. This District Level Monitoring Committee is responsible for reviewing the implementation of "Clean Campus Safe Campus" campaign. The District Level Monitoring Committee can set the law in motion against the violators and conduct surprise inspections to see if the campaign is being implemented in schools and the slated objectives met. This committee should meet at least onnce in three months.
State Level Monitoring Committee ensure the District Level Monitoring Committees are functioning effectively by calling for periodic reports. This committee will meet at least once in six months. The Hon'ble Minister of Home, Education and Health Departments will also review the functioning of the campaign periodically.